YouTube is often blocked at schools due to the inappropriate content that is hosted on the site. However, there is a great wealth of educational content as well that you might wish to show to your classes.
We will be downloading a copy of the video that you can bring into class. You’ll find that while downloading the video does require some planning, it offers some great benefits:
- The file you bring in can’t be blocked by the filter
- You have the video for years to come in case it’s taken down from youtube
- You can show the video anytime, no longer dependent on an internet connection
- Students won’t be exposed to the little thumbnails and links to other videos on the youtube site, which might not be appropriate.
- No more loading or buffering waits!
In order to make showing a youtube video a smooth experience for your class, please follow the following steps.
These steps will be preformed at home (or somewhere where youtube is not blocked)
1. Copy the youtube video’s URL (web address). Example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4s9V8aQu4c
2. Go to zamzar.com. Click Download Videos. Paste the URL for the youtube video in Step 1. Choose the format to convert to. AVI is a good choice. Step 3 – Enter your email address. Hit Convert and wait while the video is converted.
3. After you file has uploaded, you should get this message. In a few minutes you should receive an email
5. Click on the download link on the web page. You now have a copy of the video that you can copy to a USB drive or burn to a CD to bring to school.
6. Open your video file with a video player, such as VLC or Windows Media Player.
Note: There are many different services that will allow you to download a youtube video. A quick search on google for “youtube downloader” will give you many other sites to use in case zamzar goes down or isn’t working for some reason.